By: Laurie Lynch, SHARE staff organizer
Polite, friendly, hardworking, and very much a gentleman: that is how I would describe Geoffrey Bottone. As well as a writer, game designer and an entrepreneur.
Geoffrey has invented several games, including "The Red Dragon Inn." In this card game, participants roleplay as fantasy adventurers . . . after their adventures have concluded, when they’re relaxing and drinking in the tavern. The last player who is both conscious and has money wins.
Geoff also enjoys writing science-fiction fantasy. He has has written and is currently editing several books. Once done, he can start working toward finding a publisher. He does have one published piece of work currently in print, entitled "The Fear Vampire."
Geoff grew up in Cheshire, Connecticut, and graduated from the local town high school before attending Simon's Rock College in Great Barrington, MA. There he received his Bachelor’s Degree in Liberal Arts. He then went on to obtain a Master’s Degree in Creative Writing from Southern Connecticut State University.
Geoff really likes working for UMass, and he enjoys his job as an Administrative Assistant II for both the Brudnick Neuropsychiatric Research Institute (BNRI) and the Center for Comparative NeuroImaging (CCNI). He is very lucky to have an extremely short commute of only about five minutes. He also really admires how beautiful the campus is. He began working at UMass as a temp back in 2010, and was offered a permanent position in 2011, which he happily accepted. The position allows him time in the evenings and on the weekends to continue working on what he is passionate about—writing and creating board games.
25 Random fun facts about Geoffrey Bottone:
- Favorite color – Black. Why, you might ask? Because Geoff is color blind and black is the one color he can clearly recognize.
- Favorite season – Autumn
- Beach or woods – Woods
- Chocolate or vanilla – Chocolate
- Dream vacation – Italy AND is getting to go there this summer on a family vacation.
- Favorite style of music – Whatever is on is fine
- Favorite food – Pizza
- Do you have any siblings – 1 sister and twin brothers
- Do you have any pets – No
- If you could only eat 1 meal for the rest of your life, what would it be – Could NOT do it! No way!
- If you could go back in time, when would you go to and why – 9-10-2001 to warn everyone and stop the attacks on 9-11-2001.
- If you got stranded on a deserted island with no power source, what 5 items would you bring – A boat, fishing gear, knife, flare gun and a tent.
- Do you blow dry your hair? or just let it dry on its own, or towel dry – Air dry
- Do you untie your shoes when you take them off – Depends on the shoe but does not un-tie sneakers.
- Favorite book – Anything by Lloyd Alexander
- Last thing you bought – Replacement pads for Swiffer Wet Jet.
- Favorite day of the week – Saturday
- T.V. show you secretly enjoy – Rick and Morty on Cartoon Network
- Favorite Potato Chips flavor – Original Cape Cod
- Do you play a musical instrument – A flute - for 1 year while in school.
- What's your worst pet peeve – People who merge into traffic at the last second and force their way in.
- Do you have dream car – Tesla Model S
- Who named you and why – His mother named him; she wanted him to have the same initials as his father but not be a 3rd (father is a junior). Also, his mother really liked the author of Canterbury Tales, Geoffrey Chaucer.
- What languages do you speak – 4 years of Latin but did not retain any and 1 year of Arabic and all he remembers is how to say in is “انه جنون ليلى. أنا أحبها وتحبني وجملي يحب الجمال لها.” Which means, “He is mad for Layla. I love her and she loves me and my camel loves her camel.”
- Do you have a favorite life motto – Don’t panic.